WHY WE SHOULD DECLUTTER
First of all, lets start with a few important questions:
What is decluttering?
For me decluttering is turning chaos into serenity
Why do we clutter?
- Fear of loosing something that might come to use in the future
- Illusion of creating stability/structure by always having what is needed
- Fear to not have something that we need
- Illusion of being successful
The evil outcome of clutter: STRESS which leads to ANXIETY which leads to DEPRESSION
Forms of cluttering: a busy house, a busy lifestyle, a busy work setup, demanding friends stealing energy.
Where to start?
- Start at the place which is your comfort zone – your home
- Never pick a single day to do everything
- Set up 1 hour before bed and choose a part of you home to declutter e.g. start with your wardrobe, 2 shelves.
How to declutter your home – step 1 of decluttering:
- Have I used this within the past 12 months? Yes, keep it. No, chuck it!
- Am I thinking twice about the item? Chuck it!
- Donating to a charity organisation will make it much easier
- Giving an item to a close friend/family member will make it easier and at the same time might mean the world to them – a remembrance
- Remember, it will make your life more simple, less stress, just do it!
How to declutter your life:
This is a much more difficult topic to cover but if you have accomplished step 1 you are ready for the next step
- Identify the things that are making you anxious e.g. work, colleagues, friends, traffic etc.
- Determine how to remove the negative things from your life
- Stop trying to please everyone
- Stop chasing money and possessions
- Don’t try to do everything in one day
- Spend more quality time with your children and family, talk more, listen more and laugh more
- Leave iPads, tablets, phones at home when going somewhere OR visit places without signal
- Find the quality in minimalism
Calmer, happier, patient, relaxed ME —> husband —> children —> family.
This is such a difficult step to take in life, but so crucial to do. Remember life is short, be happy 🙂
This is my personal findings when I started packing up our lives, I would love to hear your comments or stories on decluttering!